Xylocaine 2% Jelly
What is Xylocaine Jelly?
- Xylocaine 2% Jelly is a topical anaesthetic that is used to help prevent pain and discomfort during certain medical tests and procedures.
- Xylocaine 2% Jelly is a clear to almost clear, slightly coloured gel that contains the active ingredient lidocaine (also known as lignocaine) in a water miscible base.
- Each gram of jelly contains 21.3 mg of lidocaine (lignocaine) hydrochloride (equivalent to 20 mg of lidocaine (lignocaine) hydrochloride anhydrous)
Xylocaine Jelly Applications
- Xylocaine 2% Jelly is designed to provide rapid* but short-term (about 20-30 minutes) numbing during medical procedures where lubrication is also needed.
- These procedures include urinary catheterisation (a procedure when a tube is used to drain your bladder or collect urine) or endoscopic procedures (where a small flexible camera is inserted through your nose, mouth, rectum, or a small incision in the skin, so the doctor can ‘see’ your internal organs).
- Xylocaine 2% Jelly can also be used to help provide pain relief after a child has been circumcised.
- Your doctor will be able to explain about what happens during your test or procedure, why it is necessary, and how using Xylocaine 2% Jelly as a topical anaesthetic might help.
How to Use Xylocaine Jelly
- Xylocaine Jelly will be given to you by your doctor or nurse. Your doctor or pharmacist may also suggest that you buy it without prescription.
- Xylocaine 2% Jelly is applied before the procedure to help prevent discomfort or can be applied to the end of medical instruments to lubricate and help reduce friction.
- The maximum dose of Xylocaine 2% Jelly is 30 mL (600 mg) in any 12-hour period – one mL of jelly is approximately equal to one gram of jelly.
*3-5 minutes on mucous membrane.
Where can I buy
Xylocaine 2% Jelly?
Enter your postcode below to find
your nearest pharmacy