When and how to use
Xylocaine 5% Ointment
Xylocaine 5% Ointment is a local anaesthetic for fast* and effective temporary relief from pain and itching of minor burns, non-blistered sunburn, insect bites, sore nipples, and painful haemorrhoids and fissures
How to apply Xylocaine 5% Ointment
- The ointment should be applied to the affected area as necessary, but no more than 3 to 4 times a day
- The maximum single recommended dose of Xylocaine 5% Ointment is 5g, which contains 250 mg of lidocaine base (approximately equivalent to 300 mg lidocaine hydrochloride)
- This is roughly equivalent to squeezing a 15 cm length of ointment from the tube
- No more than 17-20 g of the ointment should be applied in any 24-hour period.
For children 2 – 12 years of age
- Xylocaine 5% Ointment should be applied to the affected area no more than 3 times a day, when necessary
- A single dose should not exceed 0.1 g ointment/kg bodyweight (which corresponds to 5 mg lidocaine/kg bodyweight)
- No more than three doses should be applied during 24 hours.
*Onset of action 3-5 MINUTES on mucous membrane
Where can I buy
Xylocaine 5% Ointment?
Enter your postcode below to find
your nearest pharmacy